Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Time's Up!

Another change is upon us! My maternity is coming to an end today, as I will be returning to work tomorrow.  I have so many mixed emotions, I'm not really sure how I feel.  I am nervous to return to work, hoping that I can still remember how to do it.  I am uneasy leaving my girls with someone else for the majority of the day, even though I completely trust her. I am sad and feel as though I am going to miss out on so much of their everyday lives that I have 100% been a part of for the last 6 months. I am anxious because we need to figure out a new routine that works for us. I am happy to be finally getting some adult interaction. I feel so fortunate that I have a job to return to after having so much time off.

Anywho...

Before I started to write this post, I went back and reread the last one I wrote.  Holy moly. A lot has changed since even then!  I feel like the girls are getting HUGE, but in reality they are only about 8 1/2 or 9 pounds :) I keep telling people that they are just like little miniature 3 month olds because they are basically the size of a newborn but are doing things a 3 month old would do. They are so strong. They can hold their heads up and look all around.  They will smile at you (when they are in the right mood ;) They have both rolled over - from their bellies to their backs. I am sure you are happy to read that I am no longer sleeping on the couch at night! I think I only did that a few more nights after I wrote that.  We ended up getting another one of those Rock 'n' Naps, so they slept in those on either side of our bed for a couple of months.  Just last week we let them try their bassinets again.  They did much better this time and are still sleeping in them. We are hoping they will help the transition into the crib at some point. They actually sleep pretty well at night (about 5-6 hours, then they eat and sleep another few hours.) I realize that we are extremely lucky that they have figured that out!  
One of Gracie's sleepy smiles :)
 They are now eating about 4 ounces (if they act like they want more after their bottle is gone, then I go ahead and give it to them.)  It is hard to believe that the first time they ever ate when they were just a day old was only 4 mls (4 oz is close to 120 mls.) They still eat about every 4 hours, except they do go a little bit longer through the night. The last post mentioned that I had staggered their feeding times, but I don't do that anymore.  I have figured out a way to feed them both at the same time.  I even breastfeed both of them during the night at the same time (don't worry, I won't show a picture of that! :)
I apologize for the "no shower" look.  I was lucky to get one somedays, and really took my time when I got one :) But, this is how I have figured out how to feed both babies at the same time.
As with other new parents, I have figured out a lot of things on my own.  Trial and error are two of my new friends.  Okay, I wouldn't really say "friends" but maybe acquaintances. Like, when I first tried to feed them both at the same time.  It didn't really work, but I eventually found a way, and now it is like second nature to both them and me. And also the bassinets.  It didn't go very well the first night we tried it, but we have kept practicing, and now they don't seem to mind them!  



The end of October was an important time for the girls! They first were baptized, then they got to meet their Aunt Megan for the first time, and next was their first Halloween. They went as Thing 1 and Thing 2 from Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat book.

People ask me if I can see their different personalities yet, and honestly, I can't yet.  They can both be little divas, and yet little sweethearts all on the same day.  I would say that they have very similar personalities.  I'm sure this will change as they get a bit older, but I am looking forward to that.  They are going to be a lot of fun, and challenging, but totally worth it.
Gracie and Kinley
This is a picture Jake sent to me when I was Christmas shopping all day in Des Moines with his mom and sister-in-laws.  He tried to tell me that this was their expression after he told them that they get to spend ALL day with him. HA! :)

We are very excited that it is Christmas season, as it is one of my favorite times of the year.  The girls have already been to visit Santa.  I told them to ask for diapers and Target gift cards, but Santa told me that they asked for credit cards.  They are little trouble makers, I guess. We are very much looking forward to spending time with both of our families and making their first Christmas memories.  I hope they have been good this year so Santa brings them some goodies! :)
Gracelynn and Kinley with SANTA!
(SANTA!!!!!!!! I KNOW HIM!!!!!!! -Buddy the Elf... I LOVE that movie! ;)
As much as I don't want to leave my babies tomorrow, I know it is the right thing to do for my family. It is probably healthy for me, as well.  It will take some adjusting and getting used to, but I know we will get through.  I mean, look at all that we have overcome thus far! I will just have to pray for some guidance and strength, and hopefully tomorrow (from 7:30 am to 4 pm) will fly by! I am happy that I will have a few short work weeks to slowly transition into this next phase. Wish me luck! :)
Me and my girls!




No comments:

Post a Comment