Thursday, July 4, 2013

The first few days in the hospital...

I have now been here at Mercy for a few days. I have not gone stir crazy, yet, thanks to Netflix and some crochet projects :) 

While I am here, they monitor the babies' heartbeats 3 times a day, and also keep a close eye on them with an ultrasound everyday. During the ultrasound they again look at the heartbeats as well as the blood flow through the umbilical cords. The tech also looks to make sure that the babies are moving well.  We have gotten some pretty neat pictures in the last few days! 
This is a face shot of "Baby A" with her hand over her face. I about cried when I saw this for the first time and seeing how beautiful she already is!
Side Note: I suppose I should probably mention that we did find out that we are having two identical twin girls. I, myself, am pretty excited, and I think the idea is finally starting to grow on Jake. He is strong and I'm sure he will do just fine with a house full of girls (including our dog!) He will just need to learn to braid some hair :)

Since I have been here, the babies have already switched positions. Baby A is always considered to be the baby closest to the cervix, or the one who would come out first if I were to be delivering. And that leaves the other baby to be Baby B.  We can't really tell which baby is which, due to them being identical, but their heart rates have always been different, being about 10 bpms apart. I'm thinking that it is Baby A who usually has a quicker heartbeat, but for the last few monitoring sessions, it has been Baby B. I suppose we never will know! :)

I will also try to continue taking belly pictures, as I would have if I were still at home. Here is the one I took today. I am 24 weeks and 5 days.


Everything about this pregnancy has been going smoothly so far (knock on wood!) and we are very thankful for that. We pray a lot, and we know that God and all of our loved ones in heaven are looking down on us and helping all of us get through this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment